conspire :: The Eye Opener workshop series
We believe in art as a form of inquiry. We believe in the need to constantly attempt to redefine the nature of the theatrical process; that being creative means taking chances and exploring the unknown. We believe that it is vital to constantly seek out and nurture new vices, perspectives and ideas. It was from this set of core beliefs that our workshop series was born.
The Eye Opener Series is an extension of nimbus’ mission to see new work and new artists develop. We now have a space, and we want to make use of it. Let’s use it. So many artists have ideas they are working on without having the venue to show the work while it’s developing and get feedback from the audience. As the interaction with the audience is a huge part of live performance, nimbus wants to use its space to make that happen.
This series provides an atmosphere in which directors, writers, actors, and designers may experiment outside of the confines of a mainstage production. Participation is open to any artist, with preference given to those who have worked with nimbus before.
This is designed as an opportunity to showcase new work. This means that there is a developmental component, and the resulting performance can be in-process and exploratory. As the focus is on developing new work, there should not be a need for royalties to be paid.
If you have an idea that you would like to work on and would like to be considered for this series, we would love to hear more. Here is what we would need from you:
- A paragraph or more describing what your project
- A description of your intended process
- A loose time frame for the rehearsal process
- A sense of what the intended result will look like
- A brief description of yourself and any collaborators with whom you are working
If your project is chosen, nimbus will provide the following:
- A night to perform your work in the nimbus space. Tickets will be $5.00, with $2.00 going to the artist and $3.00 to nimbus theater.
- A nimbus company member to serve as a liaison between you and the theater
- One tech rehearsal and a technician to run the board
- Advertising for your show to the nimbus email list and Facebook followers
What nimbus will not provide:
- Rehearsal space
- A new light design, though anything in the rep light plot is fair game
- A complicated sound design. It must be a simple on/off
- Costumes, props and items from the scene stock may be available by separate arrangement
The resulting product of this workshop will belong exclusively to you. nimbus will have no ownership rights, nor will nimbus be obligated to present your work during its regular season.
If you are interested, click here to submit an Eye Opener Proposal. We'll try to get back to you as soon as possible, but do allow us at least 30 days to respond. Thanks!